I am so in love with this book by Mark Batterson! It has helped me to think about goal setting in a whole new way. A way that I believe will actually turn my goals into accomplishments! Please watch this short video to hear about why you want to set God sized goals & then read on to learn how!
How to Set Goals That Become Accomplishments
1. Start with Prayer! If you can, go away somewhere. The woods, the beach, even just your backyard. But get somewhere where you can be alone & have quiet. Start with a prayer. In the book Mark says: “If you set goals in the context of prayer, there is a much higher likelihood that your goals will glorify God, & if they don’t glorify God, then they aren’t worth setting in the first place! So ask God to help you find & define the goals you need to set.
2. Check Your Motives. “If you are setting selfish goals, you would be better off spiritually not accomplishing them at all.” Make sure you are going after your goals for the right reasons. Yes, we all want to be rich, but to who much is given, much is expected, so be sure you are willing to share your good fortune once you receive it. Or better yet, have a charity or cause in mind that will start benefiting from your success right away, even before you reach your goal. Just make sure it isn’t all about you & that brand new sports car you want to drive.
3. Think in Categories. Think of who you want to help or think of the areas in your life that need attention…family, finances, physical fitness, community. Then write out what you can do for each category to improve those areas. Set goals for each one.
4. Be Specific! “If your goal isn’t measurable, you have no way of knowing if you’ve accomplished it!” You can’t just say you want to lose weight or make more money. How much weight do you want to lose or how much money do you want to make & just for extra measure, set a date to reach that goal!
5. Write It Down. I talked about this in my video. You DO have to write it down. There is something about committing something to paper that makes it real. And when you post it where you can see your goals every day it helps you to stay accountable!
6. Include Others. “Goals are relational glue.” If you set a goal WITH someone, it bonds you & it will double your joy when you accomplish it! Besides, there is no better way to stay on track than to have an accountability partner!
7. Celebrate Along The Way. This is something I do with my Younique team. Whenever someone reaches a goal, no matter how big or small, I give them what we call a shout out! When you are new to something & feel like you are climbing a huge mountain to the top, stopping to celebrate milestones makes the climb seem shorter! And it keeps you motivated to get to the next celebration!
8. Dream BIG! Your list should include not just short term goals, but LONG term goals. Goals that will take years to accomplish! Short term goals are important to get you to the next step, but long term goals are great to focus on when you need a minute to step back & silah, stop & rest. They help you remember the big picture & they also help you to rely on God.
9. Think Long. Sometimes we get stuck in needing to just make it to next week. But stop & think about where you want to be in 5 & 10 years. Lots of things will change in your life during that time. You need to think ahead to what your life will look like & where you want to be in that time. What goals do you need to set to make your dream future a reality?
10. Pray Hard. Goal setting begins & ends with prayer. When you pray about your goals, they become ordained by God. Those prayers become accomplishments. Always be praying & never cease. God will bring to you everything you need to reach your goals.
Happy Goal Setting!